Sep 28, 2005

Happy Birthday, Janet!

Rewinding a few days...

One more post. Happy 19th birthday to my baby sister who is homesick in North Carolina. I called her on her birthday, but since she occasionally posts on her blog (ahem), she deserves the blogosphere shout out. Some interesting facts about Janet:

1) She graduated high school as a valedictorian and when it came to the program footnotes next to her name, she had 4 of 5, having only failed to convince the school that she was a foreign exchange student. Come on, can you look any more German that her?
2) Claims that I broke her nose when we were children. I don't recall the story, but apparently, I was chasing her around the front yard and "made" her run into a tree. When you have a large front yard with only four trees, is it really the chaser's fault if you run into the tree? It's not like she had to narrowly dart through 100 of them.
3) She used to be deathly afraid of Otto. Bruce used to be deathly afraid of her.
4) She won some award (local or national?) for an essay on the Holocaust.
5) She is a wonderful aunt to my children. If she has kids, she will most likely ban me from speaking with them.
6) In our parent's basement, there is a jar of rock candy that I made the afternoon she was born. Yes, I have rock candy that is more or less the exact same age as my 19-year-old sister.
7) She looks fierce on the tennis court. Seriously, like Conan swinging a battle-axe.
8) She doesn't post nearly as often as she should. She's a talented writer and should exercise those skills more .

I am in the middle of birthday season, also known as the Poor Months. The season kicks off with Otto's birthday on 9/7, 8083's birthday on 9/11, Janet's on 9/24, my mother-in-law's on 9/28, Jewels on 10/2, mine on 10/9, my father-in-law's on 10/18 and finally 8082's on 11/11. Eight birthdays in two months.

Feel free to share your favorite memories of Janet in the comment section.