Mar 14, 2005

Stealing cool back, or hand Junior another one to knock back...

My self-image took a hit Friday night. I know it seems impossible, but I might not be the coolest dad. I know, I am shocked to learn this as well. Despite my good looks, charm and great sense of humor, there is a cooler dad. My ability to turn an entire room into a multi-room tent with just some sheets and textbooks seems pointless now. So do all my kickass sound effects that make my children smile. Mr. Cool-Dad trumped all of my skills that day.

I was driving south on 435, on my way to school. I am an observant lad and as I drove next to this gray Buick, I noticed a grown woman sitting in the back while the shotgun seat was empty. The man driving keeps removing his hands from the steering wheel, yet he managed to keep straight while going 75mph. He places his hands back on the wheel and then i notice the other set of hands, those of a 4-5 year old child. Dad's hands go back up and the boy's grab the wheel again.

Holy shit, Junior is driving the friggin' car!

The car in front of them moves over and Mr. Cool-Dad floors it. I'm left in awe, watching them zigzag through the lanes of traffic. That kid has talent and one cool dad who is willing to focus on his son's gift regardless of what the law says. I wonder if he gives Junior a beer before they hit the road.

So, fathers or anyone who read this site, what suggestions are there for stealing Cool back from this guy?

**Disclaimer - I don't really think this guy is cool. I think he is a moron. I actually considered calling the police. However, I cannot remember my own license plate number, let alone anyone elses.