Mar 7, 2005

The Mighty Will Power of 808...

I have acid reflux. I have had it for years now. The first onset came while doing 70 on the 10 and freaked my shit out. You always hear about those people who go to the emergency room because they think they are having a heart attack, and then it turns out to be heartburn. I understand their pain. It all but crippled me for about a week. I quit smoking and drinking soda instantly; even juice made me writhe in pain.

I have since learned to live with it, take prescription medicine and always have a supply of extra-strength Tums or Pepcid AC on hand. Why am I still carrying all this around? Because my will power sucks ass. All the doctors I have had tell me what to cut out of my diet to help it. If I were to truly take their advice, I would be left eating lettuce and sprouts and tofu.

So, in celebration of my discovery of Tums Ultra, with more ammunition to fight the searing of esophagus, I bring you the top 5 things my will power has really sucked in battling and thus, put me in this predicament.

1. Soda. Pepsi and Mountain Dew, baby.
2. Italian. Red sauce is apparently really bad for acid reflux.
3. Smoking. Smokers know how hard it is to quit the habit. Non-smokers, imagine if you had to try to stop breathing. Sounds pretty hard, huh?
4. Mexican. Someone said something about maybe it is the spices. I don't know, that sounds like government propaganda, man.
5. Chocolate. I had three pieces of caramel filled Ghiradelli chocolate for breakfast this morning. What did you have?

What are some of the ways in which your will power fails you?