Aug 8, 2005

808's weekend in Los Angeles, Part 1..

I'm back from my quick weekend trip to Los Angeles. For those who were not aware, my father and I flew out Friday night for a weekend of packing my mother-in-law's belongings. Next weekend, my wife will fly out to facilitate the clean up and sale of the place. They will fly back together on Sunday and then begins life with my mother-in-law in close proximity.

I have never been one to communicate with other people on the plane, yet every flight seemed to be filled with row mates desperate to talk. On my flight to Vegas, Ben, the recent K-State and Psychology and Geography graduate yapped my ear off the entire flight. The conversation was similar to one you might have with a stoner. I'm still trying to figure out how he plans to combine the two majors. I'm also concerned that with a degree in Geography, his best description of Yosemite was "some national park that has, like, a big waterfall or Ah, Ben...

The flight from Vegas to LAX provided my only celebrity sighting. As I walked down the aisle and chose my seat, I thought the man sitting on the opposite side of the aisle looked familiar, but could not quite place it. Two rows in front of him were three teenagers, aspiring rap stars or something. I thought perhaps he was their mentor, producer, or guardian. Suddenly, I recognized him. I'm sitting next to Master P and one teenager is his son, Lil Romeo. As the plane began to exit the terminal, something broke and we had to wait for it to be fixed. If anyone was wondering, Master P is very claustrophobic and was allowed to leave the plane when his anxiety-level began to rise.

On the return flight from Vegas to KC, which was running an hour late and finally landed just before 1 am; I was stuck between a grandmother who had been in Vegas, and a guy who I originally guessed as college-aged. The grandmother talked non-stop. At the very end of the flight, I glanced over at the guy's laptop and saw a name that rung a bell. I leaned over and asked, "Are you the Clint Cain that graduated from Liberty High School?" Sure enough, I had been setting next to a guy I had known from high school, and had been an inspiration to me as a young cross country runner. Small world.

Up next, Part 2...