May 2, 2005

The Estimate

On the eve of my sister's wedding, sometime after 2:30 am, someone attempted to steal my wife's '94 Accord from our driveway. I presume they attempted to roll it into the street, where they thought they could get it going. One also assumes they are not familiar with the science of power steering and how it locks the steering column. At 7:30 am, our neighbors came over to inform us that our car was sitting in their front yard against a tree. The culprits took nothing from the car and were considerate enough to put the car back in gear and apply the emergency brake before they bolted.

 

Luckily, our insurance doesn't cover a penny. I'd hate our rates to be jacked up because of such an event. We took the car for an estimate today, intending salvage yard parts to be used. We hoped to sell the car this year and really did not want to sink any more money into it. The call came around 2:30 pm. $1047. That is about half the value of the car.

 

In my experience, bosses have a word or phrase they love to use and abuse. The one my boss always uses comes to mind right now. Torqued. As in, I am so torqued about this right now. My VP frequently uses "due diligence". Had I done my due diligence, I would have made certain that the car was either pulled into the garage or properly locked.

 

What word or phrase is your boss obsessed with using?