Mar 23, 2005

A Few Mini Music Reviews

Yes, it’s a rare late night post from the 808. This weekend, I managed to come by a large quantity of new cds for a relatively cheap price. I wanted to share some of my thoughts on these new acquisitions while they are fresh in my mind. So I give to you, my mini-reviews.

Moby – Hotel + Bonus Disc…Coming from a longtime Moby fan, I’ve enjoyed the musical transgression he has made. Curious to see how this holds up to the success of Play. If you’re going to get it, make sure you get the bonus disc as well.

They Might Be Giants – Here come the ABC’s!… Finally, a cd that my 2.5 yr old and I can enjoy together. When I found out they did the theme song to Higglytown Heroes, I knew it was inevitable that they put out an album geared toward children yet still entertaining for us nerdy adults.

Supergrass – Supergrass is 10… The first of the recent rush of greatest hits albums I acquired. If you love Supergrass, this is a great collection. 95% of your favorite songs on one disc. No more switching between all of them while in the car.

Beck – Guero… While I’ve always admired Beck, I’ve had the hardest time getting over Loser. I think I finally found the album that helped me overcome it. Beck fans should love it.

Guns N Roses – Greatest Hits… The guilty pleasure greatest hits collection for me, owner of no GNR albums. Wait! No Mr. Brownstone…grrr.

Helmet – Unsung, Helmet’s Greatest Hits (1991-1997)… Uh, did you guys leave any songs from your 5 albums off this? Seriously though, I rocked out to this in the car today. I still wish I had seen them live back in the day.

Basement Jaxx – The Singles… Always a fan of Red Alert and Where’s Your Head At, some of the others I could do without.

Daft Punk – Human After All… One song, Robot Rock. Is there anything cooler than Robots in a rock band? I think not.

The Chemical Brothers – Press the Button… I love the first song, Galvanize, with Q-Tip and some great Middle Eastern strings added in. Overall, the first half of the album is solid and then it starts to drop off.

Green Day – American Idiot… Yes, I picked it up. After their strong political beliefs against Chimpy and his establishment, I couldn’t help but give them another chance.

I also finally picked up Velvet Revolver’s Contraband, Sting’s Sacred Love, Fatboy Slim’s Palookaville, Morrissey’s You are the Quarry and new albums from Morcheeba’s The Antidote and Thievery Corporation’s Cosmic Grace. Haven’t had a chance to give them a listen yet.

I open the floor to you. Any new great music you've found that I should be listening to?