Apr 29, 2004

Top 5 songs for April 29, 2004

Here’s the daily top five:

1. ”Nightmares” Violent Femmes
2. ”Battersea” Hooverphonic
3. “Jericho” Weekend Players
4. “Fired” Ben Folds
5. “Punk Rock Classic” Red Hot Chili Peppers

I miss the good ol’ days of RHCP, Freaky Styley, Mother’s Milk, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan. I know I will meet some opposition here, but I think Blood Sugar Sex Magik was their opus. They took all these great elements they had honed over the years and put it in the hands of Rick Ruben, who I give major points to for. It could very well be I am distracted by how perfectly it flows together, each song into the next. After that album, it went downhill fast. One Hot Minute had its moments but Navarro was not a good fit with the boys. I did and still pretty much loathe Californication. By The Way was a better album than I expected but still lacks the “fuck it” funk of their early material. With the guys all around 40, what can you expect though. That being said, I finally heard the new Beastie Boys song this morning and loved it.