May 26, 2005

Today's Game: Insert foot

When speaking with a coworker who has recently lost a relative, find a better way of saying, "keep yourself busy with work" other than, "bury yourself in work".

I have a tendency to say stupid things in two situations:

Someone liked me:

When I was younger, a girl I liked told me I was cool. I responded with, "No, I'm a turtle." (I was 16)

A year later, another girl told me she liked me and despite how much I liked her, the only thing I could say was, "I think you are a piece of poop."

And you guys wonder why I didn't date much in high school.

Someone died:

When it comes to deaths, I need to learn the best approach is to simply say, "I'm sorry for your loss" and move on. I'm also not familiar with the etiquette of when you can give your condolences. Apparently, even if it is the first time you have seen someone since the passing of a loved one, it is not appropriate to tell then how sorry you are at a wedding.

Today's game...

Help me get over my guilt and share some of the moronic things you have uttered, or overheard someone utter.

(Bonus points for whoever brings up LDG's quote to the stripper in TJ.)